At Maurer Law, our attorneys handle cases involving many different types of injuries sustained in various types of accidents throughout the Raleigh-Durham area. However, in catastrophic injury cases, we accept new clients all throughout North Carolina. A catastrophic injury is any injury that has a significant and permanent effect on the life of the victim. Thus, the focus is not on how the injury occurred, but its effect on the victim.
An ankle with a hairline fracture that heals in six weeks is one thing. Five years from now, the injured person might be hard pressed to remember which ankle was even injured. An injury so severe that it requires amputation of the leg below the knee is quite another thing. This is an injury which will affect the victim for the rest of their life and can never be forgotten. These types of injuries often take a significant psychological toll on the victims and their families as well.Special Issues that Arise in Catastrophic Injury Cases
Catastrophic injury cases can be very complex. While the basic elements of a personal injury case are the same, there are many different layers of issues to deal with to ensure maximum compensation for the client. A few of the additional questions to be considered in a catastrophic injury case are the following:
- What future medical needs will the victim have?
- How much will the future medical care cost?
- What different sources might there be to pay for these costs?
- What is the present value of the amount of money needed for future medical care?
- Is there a loss of earning capacity?
- If so, how much will the injured person lose, assuming they would otherwise have worked until retirement age?
- How can this amount of money be quantified in terms of its present value?
- How can these complex pieces of information be presented to an insurance adjuster and/or a jury in a way that is easy to understand?
Claims involving catastrophic injury require a significant investment of time and financial resources to ensure maximum compensation for the client. For this reason, we conduct a thorough investigation in the very early stages of a case to make sure that there is a viable claim.Putting Our Experience to Work for You
Mr. Maurer uses all of his prior experience as a police officer, detective, and insurance defense attorney to gather appropriate evidence and witness information as early as possible. Where appropriate, the Maurer Law team retains outside investigators and experts to help shape a claim from the very beginning. This, coupled with the personal attention given to our clients, helps us attain the best possible result. Just take a look at our client reviews to learn what type of service our clients receive.
There is never a fee unless and until we win the case for the client. We offer free personal consultations for all prospective clients and family members. Give us a call today at 919-229-8359.